Balance is something that needs more attention after injuring a weight-bearing joint (such as the ankle or knee) and as we get older. Poor balance can be attributed to many things including muscle weakness, previous injuries, and problems with the inner ear. Often it is something that can be treated.
Strength of the back, hips legs and abdomen is important, but also having good core strength can help improve your balance. Think of balance like a muscle that needs strengthening. Balance can improve – it just needs attention.
Here are a few tips that may help:
– Strengthen your back, buttocks, abdomen and legs with a few daily strengthening exercises targeting those areas specifically. Challenge your balance each day with a few simple exercises.
A few examples are:
– stand upright and straight with your feet very close together
– now try closing your eyes
– try to balance on one leg – then try the other leg
– try walking on rough ground
– stand on one leg and kick the other leg forward, sideways and backwards.
Hope this helps.
#movebetterforlife #balanceexercises #corestrength