Living Well with Parkinson’s Disease
PROLONG INDEPENDENT FUNCTION, CARDIOVASCULAR FITNESS AND REDUCE THE RISK OF FALLS
What is it?
A weekly exercise class tailored for people living with Parkinson’s Disease.
Although physiotherapy and exercise cannot reverse or cure Parkinson’s Disease, it can likely slow disease progression. At the very least we know that periods of inactivity in people with Parkinson’s Disease can lead to further and faster deterioration of the brain’s function. At the cellular level evidence shows us that the right kind of exercise can improve the efficiency of the remaining brain pathways not already destroyed by the disease. Exercise can help to prolong independent function, cardiovascular fitness and reduce the risk of falls. In more recent studies, intensive exercise programs have also been shown to reduce overall dosage of medication and the associated side-affects.
Our classes are based on the PD Warrior program developed by professional physiotherapists at the Advanced Rehab Centre in Sydney. Deborah Hunter, our principal physiotherapist has trained with these physiotherapists and is an accredited PD Warrior instructor.
What should I wear?
Comfortable clothes to exercise in – footwear is not required.
Can I claim classes on my health fund?
Yes. Check your cover and speak to our reception staff about how to claim on your health fund.
Do I need a referral or an initial assessment?
You do not need a doctor’s referral. A musculoskeletal assessment is undertaken by one of our physiotherapists. This allows us to determine the suitability of the class for your individual needs and to
- Living Well with Parkinson's DiseaseTuesday, 9:00 am - 9:45 amArmidale
- Active OaksTuesday, 10:15 am - 11:00 amArmidale
- Better BalanceTuesday, 2:30 pm - 3:15 pmTamworth
- Better BalanceThursday, 9:00 am - 9:45 amArmidale
- Body BoomersThursday, 9:00 am - 9:45 amArmidale
- Living Well with Parkinson's DiseaseThursday, 10:00 am - 10:45 amTamworth
- Hipsters - Hip and Knee GroupThursday, 10:00 am - 10:45 amArmidale
- Kurrajong FitnessThursday, 10:00 am - 10:45 amTamworth
- Body ReformThursday, 4:30 pm - 5:15 pmArmidale
- Body ReformThursday, 5:15 pm - 6:00 pmArmidale